I’ve seen a lot of people out there looking for how to add a custom icon for their custom Facebook app, one that is larger than the standard app icons and fills the entire box on their fan page timeline layout.
It’s actually much simpler than most people would think, which is probably why many people are having trouble figuring out how to do it.
First off, you will need a custom icon that is the right dimensions, or at least the right proportions. The standard size for a Facebook app custom icon is 111x74px. If you upload an image that is larger than these dimensions, it will be automatically resized.
*It’s important to note that you can only add a custom icon if you are 1.) using timeline for Facebook business page and 2.) you can only add one to a custom Facebook app that you’ve created. You cannot add your own icon to third party Facebook apps that you’ve added to your page.
Now for the goods.
- Go to your Facebook business page.
- If you’re not currently using timeline, click the “Preview” button at the top of the page to activate timeline for your business page (using preview will allow admins of the page to see what it will look like in timeline, but normal, non-admin, visitors to your business page will still the “classic” look).
- Once timeline is activated, click the “Admin” button near the top right corner of the page. The admin panel will slide down.
- Click the “Manage” button. A drop down menu will appear, then click the “Edit Page” menu item. You will be taken to the standard Facebook business page admin panel.
- Scroll down to the “Apps” tab on the left side of the page, and click it. A list of all the apps you have installed for your business page will appear.
- Find the custom Facebook app that you’ve created, and click “Edit Settings”. A pop up window will open.
- Click “Change” next to “Custom Tab Image:”. The standard browse for images pop up will appear.
- Click “Browse” to choose an image located on your computer.
- Navigate to the image you want to use for your Facebook custom app icon, and double click it.
- Close the pop up windows, then scroll to the top of the admin panel, and click the “View page” button near the top right corner of the screen.
You should see the icon you selected in the box for your custom Facebook app. If you do not see the app you set the icon for, click the arrow to the right of your apps to see if it is hidden with more apps. If you still do not see it, go back to the admin panel and make sure the app you are looking for is enabled.
Hopefully, this is useful for those searching for this info. Please post any comments (gushing gratitude 😉 or questions in the comments to this post.